Monday, June 19, 2006

How Lucky I Am

I received a package in the post today from David. I couldn't tell whether it was more of an anthrax bomb or a get-well gift: Dr. Seuss's Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? It is a parable of a young child down at his heels being told, by a man sitting on a cactus, that there are far more people who suffer to a far greater degree. So the boy should be happy.

To David, I reply:

If I was simply satisfied knowing how lucky I was, I would lead a life of complacency. The arguments you deploy on me are somewhat contradictory. On the one hand, you say that I should right the wrongs of the world by running for office, or leading some rebellious movement; on the other hand, you lecture me about being extraordinarily lucky.

Which is it to be?

If, indeed, I am so fortunate, I should want for nothing, have nothing to complain about. There is nothing to do. Nothing needs fixing, except perhaps my world view.

If, on the contrary, I should lead a rebellion, you accept that there is something wrong that I see and experience. Perhaps I am not so lucky after all.

If I didn't respect you so much, I might be tempted to make a footwear analogy.
But I shall refrain.

Instead, I shall say this, to attempt to put this whole matter behind us.

I do consider myself obscenely lucky. I was born to parents who gave me strong values and a love of learning; I married the best friend in the entire time-space continuum; I have family and friends like you who give me a reason to laugh and live.

But precisely because of that, I refuse to absolve myself of effort, or forgive ill-will or injustice when it's in my (cubicle) backyard, instead of just skipping along in life and making daisy chains. I hope you understand.

Thank you for the book, and above all, thank you for coming on this journey with me. You are part prickly, part tax-and-spend, part revolutionary, part comedian, and all heart. I am lucky to have a commenter who is the embodiment of the Socratic method. Keep throwing those tomatoes.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

The sun did not shine,
It was too wet to play,
So I went on the Web
All that cold, cold, wet day.

Too wet to go out
And too cold to play ball.
I just surfed on the Web
And did nothing at all.

So all I could do was to
Click!
    Click!
        Click!
            Click!
And I did not like it.
Not one little bit.

And then
Something went BEEP!
How that beep made me leap!

I clicked!
Then I read it, sat there on my own.
I clicked!
And I read it!
The Dude-Where’s-My-Zone.
And it said to me
“Why do you sit there and moan?”

“I know you don’t work
And you’re stuck in your home.
I know you are bored,”
Said the Dude-Where’s-My-Zone.

“I know you like reading
The things that I write
As you always leave comments
Designed to incite.”

“You always leave comments,
You are very persistent.
But can you not argue
A case that’s consistent?”

I sat there in shock!
I knew not what to do
For the Dude-Where’s-My-Zone
Spoke true words that were true.

“Please forgive me, dear Zone,
I did not mean to moan.
You know how I sit in my home
On my own.”

“You know that my life is
Not always exciting,
So I spend my time reading
The things you are writing.”

“You know I like reading
The things that you write,
And that’s why I leave comments
Designed to incite.”

“It may be,” said the Zone
“That you don’t mean to moan.
But your tone
Is becoming something of a drone.”

“You know I am lucky!
I’ve said so to you!
Now can you not find
Something else you should do?”

“I’ll concede,” I said back
“I have laboured my point.
And I’ll stop going on
So I don’t disappoint.”

“But I hope you won’t mind
If I read every day
And, when I disagree,
If I comment away.”

The Zone tipped its hat
And I clicked with my mouse.
Then I was alone once again
In my house.

But can I just check
Before I au revoir
Did I ever tell you
How lucky you are?

4:18 AM  
Blogger Little Green Potato said...

LOL! An absolute classic - love it! :)

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


More blogs about technology.
Technorati Blog Finder