Friday, July 21, 2006

Goodbye To The Bionic Seagull

Last year, after a vacation, I return to my desk to find a consultant unexpectedly sitting in the space next to me, grinning rather amiably.

It turns out Dough Boy couldn't cope with managing a team of five simple developers without having a meltdown every other day, so UI Dev Lead was brought in to spoon feed him pureed project plans. Despite my internal shock and bristling at the implications of his arrival, I find it difficult to contain my "Oooooooh, a stranger, from the OUTSIDE...." awe.

Over the better part of the next year, UIDL proves to be a man of the utmost integrity, incredible efficiency, wicked wit, and a staunch supporter. His impeccable project plans and frank leadership style - honed by constant assignments at Wall Street caliber firms - made the impossible happen: DB started to look passably competent.

Whenever we speak about the team, he employs a distinct talent for communicating his understanding of my frustration without actually indulging my cynicism.

Ever the diplomat, he tells me, "You have such vision. You could run this whole show. If only you would try a bit more tact."

I laugh. "That's never been my strong point. I tell it like it is, you know that."

"It's not worth winning every battle. It might be easier to win the war if you don't."

"Well, sir, if I win every battle, I will without doubt win the war," I flippantly counter.

UIDL smiles kindly and shakes his head. It is an expression he uses with me on a regular basis.

Before long, he tells me that he is moving on to another project in another state. I knew he was never going to be around forever - as is the nature of consultants - but on a project as permanently dysfunctional as this one, anytime was bound to be too soon.

There has been some delay in writing this final tribute to UIDL because it's taken me some time to get used to the landscape without him at the helm of the UI development group. Truly, he was a Bionic Seagull. He flew in, and instead of crapping all over the place, he actually cleaned up a bunch of turd before flying right out again.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

was Mr. Jonathan Livingston Seagull single? :)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Little Green Potato said...

No, but he works with a bunch of smart nice dudes, some of which I'll bet are!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh you just inspired me to press my mouse mat!
And I should really do some work...
*waves and bounces* (so all these clues will obviously make you realise this is James M commenting. Obviously. Haha)

6:39 AM  
Blogger Little Green Potato said...

Hello anonymous. Glad to see you've taken time out from taking over the world to grace the pages of this corp-emo fest! :) It's lovely to see you here...

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


More blogs about technology.
Technorati Blog Finder