Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Growing Up

I had a revelation today. Amidst tortuous hours arguing a point for a centralized design "service" for creating screens, and attempting to sort through and learn about other people's very different viewpoints, I finally got blog-angry. If other people won't listen to me, and I'm tasked with making sure this thing turns out right, how am I ever going to make it work? What's the point? I should just let them do whatever the bleep they want to do and get what they deserve.

And then, I stopped.

I realized that I was going about it totally the wrong way round. If I stopped thinking about these meetings as me against the world, the picture looked totally different. Instead of looking for differences and trying to purge them, I should look for the similarities and try to build more.

Win people over, not defeat them in debate.

If I make my mission to make friends, instead of killing enemies, then the world suddenly becomes a much more interesting place. Is this what growing up feels like?

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I knew the days of the blog were numbered with the more optimistic posts that have been appearing of late. Dude Where's My Zone? becomes Little Green Potato's Friendship Page. There were even some happy songs in the DWMZ soundtrack.

But I mustn't mock because, of course, you're absolutely right again. I'm just interested to see how the cast of strange characters that you work with will react. Will the extended hand of cooperation be bitten off? Will you be promoted to CEO in three months (my money's on that one)? I shall read on with interest...

"...we accept her, we accept her, one of us, one of us!"

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


More blogs about technology.
Technorati Blog Finder